The English Language is one of the easy and scoring subjects of SSC CGL Examination for both Tier 1 and Tier 2. SSC CGL Exam Tier 1 has been postponed as per the latest notification by Staff Selection Commission.
Each section of the exam has its own importance and you need to devote an equal amount of time to each section to obtain top score overall. But it has been noticed that in the English Language section, students face difficulty as the course is very vast and there is no constant pattern of the topics.
You should have a deep knowledge of grammar rules and a good hold of vocabulary to score well in English Language subject. This section is important for both Tier I and Tier II.
Before starting your preparation for SSC CGL Exam, you need to know the exam pattern and syllabus of SSC CGL exam
Exam Pattern of SSC CGL English Section
|Subjects||Number of Questions||Total Marks|
Note: The total duration of the exam is 60 minutes and carries 2 marks for every correct answer and 0.50 marks will be deducted for every wrong answer.
How to start your preparation of English Section for SSC CGL Tier 1?
The English section of SSC CGL is divided into four parts:
- Verbal Ability
- Reading Comprehension
SSC CGL Tier 1 English Topics
|Topics||Number of Questions||Maximum Marks|
|Reading Comprehension/Cloze Test||5||10|
|Active Passive/ Direct Indirect||2||4|
Prepare English for SSC CGL Tier 1- Topic Wise
- Spotting Error- Find grammatical errors in the sentence so good command over grammatical sense is required. Important Tips:
- Read the complete sentence carefully
- Carefully check subject-verb agreement.
- Read individual part of the sentence and examine error closely.
- Cloze Test- You need to fill the blanks from the given options. Important Tips:
- Get an idea for appropriate word from the logic.
- Eliminate incorrect options and get the right answer
- Search for the logical relation among all the options
- Reading Comprehension-Find the correct answers in the paragraph. Important tips:
- Do not skip the comprehension reading
- Increase your speed in reading.
- Idioms and Phrases- Common questions are asked from this section. Important Tips:
- Practice more with previous year questions and mock test
- Keep in mind the important phases and idioms.
- One-Word Substitution- Find the right word which replaces the meaning of the group of words or sentence. Important Tips:
- Learn some important one-word substitution.
- Practice more mock tests and previous year question papers.
- Spelling Mistakes- Learn some rules for spelling errors. Important Tips:
- Keep a dictionary at hand.
- Keep in mind the correct spellings.
- Sentence Correction- Find the correct alternative which will improve the sentence. Important Tips:
- Read the original sentence
- Eliminate all wrong choices
- Pay attention to grammar.
- Active Passive- Choose the right option which best expresses the same sentence in Active/ Passive voice or Direct/ Indirect speech. Important tips:
- Remember golden rules of grammar
- Read the original sentence carefully
- Synonyms and Antonyms– Select the right option of word which states right synonyms or antonyms. Important tips:
- Try to learn new words every day.
- Make shortcuts to remember new words and their meaning.
SSC CGL English Section Books
- Objective General English by S.P Bakshi
- A mirror of common errors by A.K Singh
- Corrective English by A. K Singh
- Word Power Made Easy by Normen Lewis
- Idiom and Phrases by English Vinglish Gradeup Series
- From Plinth to Paramount by Neetu Singh
SSC CGL English Preparation Tips
- Make reading your daily habit- Read magazine and newspaper on daily basis. Try to learn new words and their meaning every-day.
- Regular Practice- Solve mock test and previous year question papers daily. After that check your answers and analysis your mistakes.
- Read complete question- Just because your time is limited, do not make this mistake of reading the incomplete question. Read all the questions carefully and check what is being asked in the question.
- Avoid guesswork- Remember that for every wrong answer your marks will be deducted, so avoid guessing in your SSC CGL Exam. Do not waste your time on one question, if you are not sure about the correct answer, leave that and move ahead with the next question.
- Focus on your weak topics- You should devote more time to your weak areas by improving them. Practice more with the mock test in order to get a good hold of the subject.
Start your preparation for SSC CGL Exam. Focus on key areas and plan your schedule accordingly. Keep in mind the structure of English Language and Comprehension Structure and remember all the important tips to score well in the exam. Don’t forget to download SSC CGL app from Google Play Store. It provides free study material, quizzes, mock test, online practice set, previous year question papers, and all the notifications related SSC exams.